Volunteers are the foundation of activities at ECEC. If you can schedule a day a month or just want to be on call for a one-time special project, you can be an important part of ECEC.
Contact the ECEC office at 541 584-2692 if you can help or send us a message at email@example.com. Thanks!
Do you have a special interest to share? Contact us with your ideas! Or, read on for a list of our current openings...
- Publicity: Make flyers, post signs around town, or help spread the word through social media (FaceBook, etc.) Media-savvy folks could help write press releases and follow up.
- Cooking: Choose a dish to make at home or join the cooking crew on site. Could be as simple as making a large salad, or you could put your stamp on the entire meal from menu planning to managing the kitchen crew.
- Food & Drink Servers: Work in a fast-paced environment to get the food to the people! No experience or license required for most jobs.
- Set Up & Break Down: Help set up and put away tables, chairs and signage. See our schedule of events (work may happen the day before or after the event).
- Wedding Planner: A unique opportunity for someone who loves special events and
- can make a 1-2 year commitment. Help couples envision their special day at ECEC.
- Tour Guide: Share your love of local history with groups of students and seniors. Occasional, on-call position; most tours are during the week or during special events on the weekend. WE ESPECIALLY NEED HELP IN EARLY JUNE! Training Provided by experienced history educators.
- Historical Re-enactment: Ever wonder what it was like to live in the 1840’s? Spend the day in character as one of the original residents of Fort Umpqua. Training provided by an experienced history educator. Re-enactment days happen mid-summer and over Labor Day weekend.
- Fort Construction & Maintenance: Help us repair the stockade walls, maintain buildings and apply wood preservative to make sure Fort Umpqua is here for years to come. Range of skills needed from finish carpentry to basic manual labor.
- Blacksmith: We’re looking for an experienced blacksmith to make hardware for the doors and windows at the Fort. This is a unique job that will make a big impact.
Grounds & Maintenance
- Mowing: Help maintain our 30-acre property by signing up for a regular shift to mow throughout the summer or fill in when a regular mower is on vacation. Experience and attention to detail required.
- Tractor Specialist: Seasoned farmer/rancher with extensive knowledge of farm equipment to help plow, rototill and grade.
- Odd Jobs Crew: Get a workout while making a difference. Occasional one-day jobs available including power washing, pruning tree limbs, spreading gravel around the seats at the amphitheater, and applying wood preservative on the Fort.
- Salesperson/Greeter: Like to shop? Chat with people? Help people find a special item from their ECEC visit? We are looking for friendly faces to be in the gift shop during the summer open hours. No sales experience needed and you will be trained on a very simple cash register. The Gift Shop is open 9:00 – 5:00 seven days a week Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day. We also need folks in September and during our Holiday Sale Thanksgiving Weekend. Half and full-Day shifts available.
Garden, Nursery & Produce Stand
- Produce Stand: Love vegetables and people? Help us display and sell our summer produce in our roadside stand. Use your knowledge and our many recipes to help customers make healthy and tasty choices. Shifts available any day of the week.
- Greenhouse: Get your hands dirty while helping to pot annuals, perennials and native plants. A learning experience. Seasonal (February-April). There may be an opportunity to help with native plant propagation in the fall.
- Market Garden: When it’s veggie planting time, let us know if you’re available to help. From June-September we harvest our bounty while keeping our garden weed free. Blueberry picking also. Morning shifts 6 am-9 am.
- Adopt-A-Bed in the Butterfly Garden and keep it maintained all summer. Includes planting seasonal annuals and weeding. This is a great job to do with friends.
- Library Staff / Greeter: Do you love books? Are you organized? Do you enjoy helping others? The ECEC library may be just the place for you! The library is often the first place people stop when they visit ECEC. Our library volunteers greet visitors, provide information about ECEC and Elkton, and open & close the library each day. The Library is open year round from 10-3:00 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. You can sign up for a shift once a month, once a week, or be on-call. Full and half-day shifts available.
Community Outreach, Education and Office
- Tour Guide: Share your love of local habitats and history with groups of students and seniors. Occasional, on-call position; most tours are during the week. WE ESPECIALLY NEED HELP IN EARLY JUNE! Training available.
- Butterfly Steward: We’re looking for a science geek to be a liaison between ECEC’s butterfly program and regional & national efforts to protect the Monarch butterfly. Includes research, writing and community education. This is an ongoing position.
- Volunteer Outreach: Join a team of people to recruit, welcome and support volunteers at ECEC. We work with fabulous volunteers—help us make sure they have a fabulous experience here! Monthly team gatherings with some work in between.
- Paper Tamer & Keyboard Wizard: Help keep ECEC’s records organized by bringing your data entry and organizing skills to the office. Two hour shifts during office hours. Can’t come to ECEC during the day? There are some projects that could be done at home.